In ‘Portfolios, Programs and Projects’ I share a quick reminder of the relationship between these three levels of management as referenced in the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK). It is important for new Project Managers to understand the hierarchy and potential interconnectivity between these three levels of management. For more seasoned PMs, knowing when to “lead up” and suggest when a project should become a program is also important.
When Projects Look Like Programs
- The scope has or should change to meet organizational needs
- A more permanent solution is needed beyond the temporary endeavor that is a project
- Multiple interconnectivity’s across multiple business areas exist
Focus at Each Level
- “Program and project management focus on doing programs and projects the “right” way; and”
- “Portfolios management focuses on doing the “right” programs and projects.”
- *From PMBOK page 12
Learn more about the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK) at https://www.pmi.org/pmbok-guide-standards/foundational/PMBOK
Stay safe, wash your hands and Godspeed,
Kevin Pannell, PMP, Creator & Host, ‘People, Process, Progress’ podcast
– Build the foundation at https://peopleprocessprogress.com/build-the-foundation
– Please leave a review on Apple Podcasts and subscribe below to the podcast and YouTube channel.