“As PMs (Project Managers) we often get wrapped up in creating schedules and developing administrative details rather than focusing on project execution. Although doing what we are told the status reporting pm services can become extraneous. PMs need be irreplaceable. Not irrelevant with so much to manage. How do you know where to focus your energy. How do you know which game changer. Techniques to use in each phase of complex projects to drive project success.”
I read the above paragraph to kick off this week’s episode with the Author, Donna Gregorio. Donna Gregorio, PMP, helps organizations disrupt “change as usual” through a practical and repeatable framework, transforming their culture from surviving change to growing through change. She is a veteran of corporate IT project management, a published author, a college graduate school instructor, and a well-respected conference speaker. Having presented in front of classrooms of 20-50 and conference presentations of 50-100+, Donna demonstrates style, grace, comfort, and is able to explain complex technical issues in an interesting way. Donna shows each audience how to reconnect with tools in addressing challenges, what matters most, so they can achieve positive results.
- 00:00:00 – Opening
- 00:06:13 – Musical bands and Project Management
- 00:11:55 – You can’t spend all your time status reporting
- 00:43:16 – Impracticality of using all 75 tools from the PMBOK
- 01:00:57 – Managing up and becoming irreplaceable
- 01:29:47 – Contacting Donna, Kevin and closing
Donna and I had a great conversation where we discussed the concept of Project Managers making themselves irreplaceable to their projects and organizations, the concept of PMs conducting “get well checks” throughout the lifecycle of their projects, the ever popular Waterfall vs. Agile project management styles and Donna shares practical advices for new and experienced Project Managers alike on key tools and techniques that should be part of every project.
You can reach Donna to hear more of her wisdom and practical advice at the following locations:
- Website: https://www.donnagregorio.com/
- Buy ‘The Successful Project Manager” on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Successful-Project-Manager-Practical-Guidance-ebook/dp/B0927YG71K
- LinkedIn: https://bit.ly/2Srw44F
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/Donna8280
- Facebook: https://facebook.com/donna.gregorio
- Check out the ‘No Filter Friendship’ podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/no-filter-friendship/id1534891042
Thank you so much for tuning into this episode and for reading this post. Please like and share this page, the podcast and leave a review on your preferred podcast platform.
Stay safe, wash your hands and Godspeed,
Kevin Pannell, PMP | Creator & Host, ‘People, Process, Progress’ | Connect and subscribe at https://linktr.ee/peopleprocessprogress
#projectmanagement #author #irreplaceable #peopleprocessprogress #waterfall #agile