People that know me know that I regularly exercise and practice Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I share my workouts and post daily. Yes, I was inspired to do this by Jocko Willink’s ritual of posting a picture of his watch at 0430 every morning. It is also an accountability. I didn’t post? I probably didn’t get after it.
So, are you looking to get back into the swing of things, start your own home routine or start building your basement or garage gym? In this week’s brief episode I share five items that helped me get started and that continue to help me build or maintain muscular and cardiovascular fitness.
Below are the items I discuss and associated exercises that can be done.
- Pull Up Bar:
- Sample exercises: pull ups (duh), jumping pull ups, kipping pull ups, hang from the bar, toes to bar, hanging knees to elbows.
- Pros: many variations (free standing, mounted, doorway); can attach rings or other workout strap systems
- Cons: Not super mobile
- Resistance/Exercise Bands:
- Sample exercises: anything you can do with a dumbbell or barbell with some variation
- Pros: mobile, cheap and you can find them many places; great for high rep burn
- Cons: not good for bulking up
- Sample exercises: swings, carries, get ups, twists, push ups, squats, deadlifts
- Pros: versatile and time proven devices; provides a cardio + muscular workout all at once; come in many weight ranges
- Cons: some ramp up time on movements; may damage watches with some exercises
- Medicine Ball:
- Sample exercises: wall balls (google it), twists, slams, halos
- Pros: versatile and time proven devices; provides a cardio + muscular workout all at once; come in many weight ranges (I know, just like kettlebells)
- Cons: won’t fit in carry on bag; make sure to catch it with hands not face (wall balls)
- Jump Rope:
- Sample exercises: jumping…rope, double unders
- Pros: super mobile, great workout for lungs and legs, available everywhere
- Cons: hurts when hitting head, found out I’m not Rocky or Creed…
Hope this was helpful and that you’re all getting after it out there.
Stay safe, wash your hands and Godspeed,
Kevin Pannell, PMP | Creator & Host, ‘People, Process, Progress’ | Connect and subscribe at https://linktr.ee/peopleprocessprogress
#homegym #garagegym #exercise #getafterit #health #wellness #pullups #resistancebands #kettlebells #medicineball #jumprope