Last night my family and I watched Disney Pixar’s “Soul”. It was a great movie with some groundbreaking animation. The buildings and non-living entities in the film looked like they were real and captured with an HD camera on the street. The living characters, e.g. animals and humans, were a bit less real, but unique and fun. I find in many animated films the messages are as much for adults as they are for the target audience of children. Soul is no different.
To help me illustrate the point without spoiler alerting too much, please read the quote below then join me in the paragraph after:
“What would you want to be known for on earth? We only have a short time on this planet. You want to become the person that you were born to be – don’t waste your time on all the junk of life! Spend your precious hours doing what will bring out the real you! The brilliant, passionate you, that’s ready to contribute something meaningful into this world.” Soul, by Joe Gardner – Found at: https://www.thyquotes.com/pixars-soul/
Pretty great quote right? Like I said, these movies always make me think….and sometimes cry. I’m comfortable with that. Anyhoo…the quote to me invokes deep thought and to consider the following as an opportunity for self assessment.
- What would I want to be known for on Earth?
- Being a supportive partner in love and life to my wife
- Being a good example to my sons and teach them right from wrong
- Being a good family member
- Being a good friend
- Helping individuals and teams succeed for the betterment of others and at times to save lives
- What have I or am I wasting my time on?
- The opinions of those that aren’t mutually invested in a personal or professional relationship with me
- Those that lump me into groups if my beliefs differ from their own
- Sometimes video games…so fun though
- How am I spending time doing what I want?
- Hiking, playing board or card games and watching movies with my family
- Continuing to train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
- Sometimes video games…great to disconnect a bit
- Sharing my experience, $.02 and the stories of others from around the world via the ‘People, Process, Progress‘ podcast
- What am I contributing that’s meaningful to the world?
- Providing project, public safety and incident management planning tools and tips to folks I’ve never met in person
- Inspiring others to take the first steps towards a healthier life with exercise by sharing my workouts each morning (@pannellkg on @instagram)
- My good and bad life lessons with my children
- Keeping a major health system moving forward in its technology and workforce evolution to indirectly improve patient care
So, what are your considerations? What do you want to be known for on Earth? We all have things to contribute to American society and the world at large. We’re all connected and all essential. Period. No one job is “better” than another, it’s just different.
Dare to make your mark by helping the world starting now or in a few hours in 2021.
Godspeed to you all and Happy New Year,
Kevin,Kevin Pannell, PMP Creator & Host, ‘People, Process, Progress’ Connect and subscribe at https://linktr.ee/peopleprocessprogress
#podcasting #soul #disney #pixar #selfassessment #geniuszone #geniusleadership #peopleprocessprogress #people #process #progress #projectmanagement #publicsafety #publichealth #COVID19